A Travellerspoint blog

Bermuda Day 8

overcast 28 °C

Following my homesick night playing computer games, I didn't sleep well. So I decided it's my holiday, I can do what I want, and stayed in bed until noon. I took my time getting ready and out the door. Today was an easy day, I did some shopping and ate lunch at 2pm at a little cafe off Reid Street. Then I walked to the bus depot and caught the bus to Gibb's Hill Lighthouse. The bus driver tried hitting on me. Just like everyone else. Frankly, it's getting annoying. I'm just too nice to walk away. Damn it! Oh well, I'm getting better -- both at saying hi and at turning people down.


I said hello and introduced myself to a family from Pennsylvania as we got off at the same stop for the lighthouse. When I said I was from Canada the father noted that he knew I was from Canada because I was being too nice! That's when I realized that Canadians are nice, but not outgoing -- Bermudians are very very very very very outgoing. That's the difference, and I am picking up on it. When I get back I'll probably be pretty creepy for a little while, going up and talking to everybody I see, but that's just what they do here. Actually, it's probably a really good thing for me.

Gibb's Hill Lighthouse was amazing. It was cast out of iron in England then shipped to Bermuda and was the 2nd of it's kind in the world! With Bermuda being such an important stop for England traders on their way to the New World, the ships needed to be guided safely at night and the Bermudian government spent a lot of money on the lighthouse, though not more than they would gain from the increased trading. I climbed all the way to the top and looked at the amazing view -- and the clouds rolling in. It was extremely windy on the outer balcony.


After the lighthouse it looked like it was going to rain, so instead of going to the beach like I planned, I walked down Middle Road and found an entrance to the Railway Trail. The Railway Trail in Bermuda used to be the railway line of course, but on such a tiny island it was only needed until trucks were in use, so it was ripped up. The trail, however, was left and levelled off and is now used as a walking/jogging/biking trail that goes the entire length of the island. I just walked a small portion of it. I found 2 more moongates, a gigantic tree, some beehives (they make a lot of honey in Bermuda), and this cactus-like plant that looked like tendrils coming out of the hedge it was growing on. Seriously, it looked like a triffid or something. At one point I found a bench and stopped to read for a while. It was drizzling on me so at 6:30pm I headed out to Middle Road and found a bus to take me back to Hamilton.


I went home and wrote journal entries and then debated going out and decided against it because it's no fun partying without my friends, and I'm tired. I'll probably party at the beach tomorrow because Snorkel Park Beach has free admission on Saturdays and there's a bar on the beach. :) I'm excited. Goodnight, I'm going to take a Gravol and read my book and hopefully sleep well tonight so I can make my last day count.

Posted by mtlewis 06:16 Archived in Bermuda

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint